Ok. Last recipe, but luckily it is my favorite one. I am for sure quinoa-ed out, you guys. My kitchen has little quinoa pieces in hard-to-reach places. My fridge has enough quinoa in it to feed an army of hungry yogis. I didn't even finish 3/4 of that huge pot I made, so I'm going to have to come up with some other ways to keep repurposing, as I don't relish wasting the rest of the golden (not actually a) grain.
I adapted these quinoa cakes from this recipe, which, while gorgeous, seemed like it needed a bit of spice. My cakes didn't come out looking even half as pretty as theirs did though, so touche. These were kind of like crabcakes but also kind of like falafel. I LOVED them. Loved them, loved them, loved them. As I mentioned, this was BY FAR my favorite of the six recipes I made with allthequinoa. Crispy, crunchy, YUM.
I will be making them again ASAP and trying some different flavors, too. Old Bay? Chili powder? Garam Masala? YES. Shredded zucchini or carrot might be a great addition to these too, plus it would up the veggie power in these.
Savory Quinoa Cakes
adapted from Sweet Fine Day
makes 7-9 cakes
total time: 30 minutes
total hands-on time: 10 minutes
What you'll need:
2 eggs, 1 egg yolk
1 cup prepared quinoa
2 tsps cumin
sprinkle of red pepper flakes
1.5 cups shredded cheese
canola oil for frying
What you'll do:
1. Combine quinoa, egg, cheese, and spices in a mixing bowl and mix well.
2. Shape the mixture into patties (They may not take shape that well; mine sucked at first but I perservered. That's also where the lone yolk came from, as I needed a bit more of a binding agent).
3. Cool the patties in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
4. Heat some canola oil on medium high heat in a heavy skillet. Once fully heated, add the patties and cook until brown on each side.
5. Drain on paper towels and eat right away. You'll want to eat them right away, I promise.
As you can see, I served these atop a little salad and then sprinkled it all with parmesan cheese.
This is a post in my Three Days of Quinoa Challenge. Check out my other recipes in the challenge: Quinoa as Oatmeal, Spinach Quinoa Casserole,Cranberry Quinoa Muffins, Pear, Cranberry and Spinach Salad with Quinoa, and Lemony Chickpea Quinoa.